I am doing something that I never thought I would be doing in a million year. Remember how I've always talked about how I hate reading? I certainly never thought I'd ever be talking about a book that I finished in one day. But here, I am-- a changed woman, and linking up for the first time ever with #Collaboreads with my dear friend, Rachel and her friend, Kristin.
June's theme // A Book You Can Finish In One Day!
I chose // Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
Tuck Everlasting is one of my favorite books from my childhood. I've been meaning to reread it this summer, as I haven't read it in almost 15 years!
What parts of the book could you NOT get enough of?
- The premise of the story in general-- it's creative, unique and makes you think.
- The overall theme of immortality-- would you choose to become immortal if you could? It's a simple read that makes you think deeply about life.
- The relationship between Jesse and Winnie-- in fact, I wanted a little bit more of it! (Though I thought their relationship was perfect for a young adult read)
How did you relate to/care for the characters? What's your thought on the plot line and twists and turns?
- I relate to Winnie as a character a TON-- animal lover, cautiously curious, not much of a risk taker but intrigued with a simpler way of life
- I didn't expect the twist at the end which really makes some people MAD-- but I love it, I think it's the most perfect, heartbreaking way to end the story.
What other books are like this one? If none, did it remind you of a particular TV or movie with it's themes and characters?
- It didn't remind me of any new books or shows, but I have watched the movie of this story a TON- as I love Alexis Bledel (#TeamRory) and most of it was filmed not far from my house in Baltimore!
- They stick quite closely to the book in the movie, though they change the ending a bit and exaggerate some of the relationships the characters have.
- Fun Fact: We took our anniversary photos where they filmed this movie!
- They filmed the swimming scene on one of my favorite hiking trails by my house!
You know you judged this book by the cover. What did you think of it? How did it relate to the contents of the novel?
I have the movie cover of the novel that I bought when I was in the 4th grade from my school's book fair #THROWBACK. I read the book before seeing the movie, but after seeing the movie, I thought that Winnie and Jesse looked exactly in the movie like how they did in my mind-- so I love the movie cover!
How many out of five do you give this book? Would you recommend this book to a friend?
Five stars-- If you are a book that can move me at 9 years old, and move me in the exact same (and some entirely new) way(s), then you deserve five stars. I could read this book again tomorrow.