This past weekend, there was a blizzard. Not just a snow storm. A blizzard, people. I still can't even see my car buried under all the snow! My favorite thing that came out of this down time? Pancakes!
These pancakes are the perfect breakfast on those snowy, sleepy Saturday mornings. They're simple to make, healthy and delicious! Plus, they are free of gluten, dairy, eggs and animal products!
What are you supposed to do when the snow falls over two feet and everything shuts down, making your city a ghost town? When the wind blows hard and cars slowly disappear? In my mind, that means it time to make pancakes and watch movies. So, that's what we did.
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 TBSP ground flax seed
- 2 TSP baking powder
- 2 TSP ground cinnamon
- 1 TSP nutmeg
- 1/4 TSP salt
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 TSP vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk (or any other vanilla sweetened non dairy milk)
- Mix the flour, ground flax, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Separately, combine the maple syrup, vanilla, applesauce, and milk.
- Slowly stir in the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Do this slowly and make sure there are no clumps in the matter when fully mixed.
- Spray a frying pan or griddle and heat it up on medium heat.
- Spoon some batter onto the pan and wait a few moments before flipping. These heat up quick!
- Top with berries. Earth Balance butter and some syrup!